|Coin||One Pound 2008 Three Lions (NCLT)|
The ?1 coin in base metal (as opposed to the gold sovereign, which has a nominal face value of one pound too), nickel-brass was introduced in 1983, as a replacement for the ?1 banknote. A variety of designs were issued into circulation between 1983 and 2016, representing the United Kingdom and its constituent parts - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, rotating each year; 色女仆they were all demonetised in 2017色女仆 and replaced by the current 12-sided bimetallic one pound coin.
The Royal Mint also uses the denomination to issue Non-Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) coins for collectors, such as this one.
In 2008, two 14-coin sets were issued to commemorate the 色女仆25th Anniversary of the ?1 denomination色女仆 - one in gold, and one in silver with selective gold plating. The sets contained coins dated 2008 with all the previously released one pound designs. There was no base metal version of the set. With the exception of the Royal Arms ?1 of 2008 (which was due to be issued in 2008 as the coin representing the whole of the United Kingdom), 色女仆none of them were released into circulation色女仆.
The original design for this coin - 色女仆representing England色女仆 - was issued twice, in 1997 and in 2002.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
Crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (effigy known as the 色女仆"Fourth Portrait"色女仆). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the 色女仆Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials 色女仆IRB色女仆 (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend and the date: 色女仆ELIZABETH · II · D · G REG · F · D · 2008色女仆. Translated from Latin: Elizabeth the Second, by the grace of God, Queen, Defender of the Faith 2008.
The reverse shows the Royal Crest of England, three lions passant guardant (walking to left, facing the observer) representing England, one of the four constituent parts of the United Kingdom. Around below, the value and denomination 色女仆ONE POUND色女仆.
|Edge||Plain||Edge Inscription||DECUS ET TUTAMEN
The listed mintage is for the silver version.
There are no "regular", base metal coins of the type. The existing coins are one of the types listed as varieties below: silver or gold. The coins were released individually or in a set of fourteen containing:
01. Royal Arms ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1983 Royal Arms, Spink J1
02. Thistle and Diadem ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1983 Thistle and Diadem, Spink J2
03. Leek and Diadem ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1985 Leek and Diadem, Spink J3
04. Flax and Diadem ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1983 Flax and Diadem, Spink J4
05. Oak Tree and Diadem ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1987 Oak Tree and Diadem, Spink J5
06. Shield - Gorringe Design ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1988 Shield, Spink J6
07. Lion Rampant ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1994 Lion Rampant, Spink J9
08. Dragon ?1 2008 - like 色女仆One Pound 1995 Dragon, Spink J10
09. Celtic Cross ?1 2008 - like One Pound 1996 Celtic Cross, Spink J11
10. 色女仆Three Lions ?1 2008色女仆 - like One Pound 1997 Three Lions, Spink J12
11. Forth Railway Bridge ?1 2008 - like One Pound 2004 Forth Railway Bridge, Spink J18
12. Menai Bridge ?1 2008 - like One Pound 2005 Menai Bridge, Spink J19
13. Egyptian Arch Bridge ?1 2008 - like One Pound 2006 Egyptian Arch Bridge, Spink J20
14. Millennium Bridge ?1 2008 - like One Pound 2007 Millennium Bridge, Spink J21